Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Kampala Symphony Orchestra


The Kampala Symphony Orchestra (aka the KSO) has recruited a new member – Me!  Deb!  DD!  I went last night for my first rehearsal with the KSO and it was...noteworthy!     

The KSO is made up of mostly amateur and a few semi-pro players from a range of backgrounds.  I have taken my usual orchestral place in the 2nd violin section which I am very grateful for; I haven’t played my instrument in years, so I am more than rusty.  

I am renting a violin from the Kampala Music School.  The case is broken so you can’t actually carry it by the handle or else the instrument will fall out, I don’t think the bow is full size (then again, it has been years) and the pegs are all different colours.  But it’s a great instrument, and I am so happy to be able to play again.

We rehearse in the basement of the YMCA in a tiny room about 8 feet x 12 feet.  Imagine an orchestra: violins, violas, cellos, bass, flute, clarinet, oboe, trumpet, French horn, etc...  then think of cramming all these people and their instruments into a little room in the heat of Uganda’s dry season.  Fresh.  Our music stands are falling apart; you have to balance your stand against your neighbours’ for leverage and we do not have enough sheet music or parts for every instrument.  So there I was in my debut rehearsal with the KSO with three other violins crowding around one piece of music on a wobbly stand and the trumpet player with his back half turned out the window balancing his music on the window ledge.  I wondered why the conductor had a shiny bow on his baton but when the power went out and we were playing by the light of our mobile phones, we could all still follow the beat from the glint off the bow on the baton.  And, well, we played on with smiles on our faces – a must says our conductor.

There is something about the people, culture, dancing, movements, and life here in Uganda that has really been waking up my inner musician, so I am really happy to be part of this group that is just about making music regardless of the circumstances.  

I’ll be sure to let you know how we progress – anyone want to come to our concert in April?

1 comment: